Category

UX


Client

Staples®


Date Added

January 26, 2018


Project brief & details

Background:
This project was part of the Staples.com browse path redesign that featured a complete overhaul of the sites supercategory and category pages. The experiences were confusing, the experiences were outdated (looked ancient), and most importantly, data showed that customers couldn’t find what they were looking for (drop-off was high). Another problem was that the service offerings were getting completely buried behind 3 slides of carousels, and the business objectives were to elevate services as part of the shopping experience.

The core team consisted of stakeholders and decision-makers from merchandising, e-commerce, and marketing. The design team included UX (myself), a writer, a creative director and about 16 coffees…

Step 1: Information Gathering / Empathizing
First, we got all stakeholders in a room for 3 hours. We used some aspects of design thinking methodologies to gather information and understand what users were doing and how they were shopping / browsing.

Step 2: Defining / Goal-setting
Before we met, we asked the client side to gather information that included the following information: traffic, click rates & patterns for the page, revenue, and ultimately the goal of the page.

Step 3: Inspiration
Everyone was also asked to bring in ideas and inspiration. Furniture sites they liked, and asked to provide some insights as to why they liked them and explain what they thought these sites did successfully.

Step 4: Ideation
Here’s where we got collaborative. In this step, we asked everyone to start sketching their ideas as to what this page would be in their eyes, and what functionalities and features they thought could help solve the page issues. We also asked each participant to only consider things that would be useful for users in their shopping experience, not the business. We let everyone sketch for about 10 minutes, then we all hung up our sketches and had to present and sell our ideas. After everyone understood the concepts, we marked our favorites with stickers.

The outcome
Those ideas then made their way to the wireframe phase, where we combined and polished up some mid – high fidelity wireframes. From there, the core team was able to quickly make decisions and we moved into visual design and development and testing.

see it in action

Similar Projects